So my engagement has been anything but easy. Why keep planning a shotgun wedding you ask? Well cuz waiting wont help the stress any. John wont be getting into Oct fire school which is the reason we had a 2 month engagement so he has to shoot for Jan enrollment. But our lives are so crazy at this point we don't know what to do. Here is whats going on..
1. My cake decorator (bless her heart) got a great opportunity to work on a cruise ship and leaves the 21st of this month... ergo I need a new cake decorator
2. Johns job pays him crap so he cant contribute to wedding fund
3. John drives a jeep Cherokee which sucks any remaining money he has.
4. John pays rent which I am helping him out with (see reason 2 and 3)
5. On Aug 11 while on the way to FHE for John to get a limited use recommend my car blew a head gasket ( we think that's what it is) I strongly dislike this car
6. Johns mom is not so chill about the wedding like he thought she would be. She wants lot of pointless things at the wedding
7. My dad thinks that I should do one thing with this wedding.... stand there and look pretty and let everyone else make the decisions.... but then says stuff like, 'I wouldn't let any other woman run my wedding if i were you. You need to stay in control' .... Uh annoying much?
8. I don't like flowers as most of you know. I dislike the smell so planning a flower-free wedding has proved to be a struggle. Honestly what do you use for centerpieces???
9. My hours at work reduce dramatically next week with school starting back up. Along with the hour reduction, goes my pay. So money to buy centerpieces is limited
10. We want a simple reception and our parents are wanting to make it a bigger production then we do.
11. The cancellation of sealing wont go through in time to be sealed. So stake president said to plan a civil ceremony and get sealed a year later.
12. Bishop hates that he has to marry us temporally but in the end he knows tis better to marry us then to let temptation sneak in.
13.Rent is alot here for a newly married couple without careers. We are talking 800-1100 a month.
So as you can read life is hectic. We thought about postponing the wedding a little but the financial situation is better now for everyone then it will be in Nov/Dec. Johns mom fell at work and has a herniated disk and may need surgery and my dad has been in and out of the hospital and wheelchair bound for the last few months. So money is never going to get better for us. If I'm already supporting the two of us now, why not at least get a warm body to go home to.
So there it is... Life and its crazy surprises.
We are either being tested and we are about to get a huge blessing/miracle or Satan is working overtime to prevent us from marrying.


4 comments:
I know you don't know me that well, but I'm offering my 2 cents anyway. I can't help it. (and if you're offended, that's ok, just delete this and forget about it)
I'm excited you're getting married! That's awesome! That little girl I JC'd for at Girls Camp is all grown up!
-A temple marriage is worth the wait. Do it right the first time!
- Any couple can get through $$ problems. I can't believe what love can endure through. Just watch the debt. SERIOUSLY! watch it. (that is NOT worth it)
-Center pieces? I've seen people do goldfish or betas in mini fish bowls. or sliced fruit in bowls, both with "squished marbles" in the bottom. M&M's or other candy in your colors. Bowls with sparkly Christmas ornaments and ribbon and beads and candles. you can TOTALLY do it without flowers.
- I know very few people who can get through a wedding without family disagreements. Someone is always going to tell you you're wrong or dumb about something. Just learn how to be reasonable. Realize it is YOUR day, but it IS just a day and it will be over VERY quickly. Other than your cake and pictures, you might not even remember the food, or decorations.
-I think you need to look in yourself and see if you are strong enough to make it through some tough temptation. I know you can if you pray about it, and LOTS of other people around you ALL THE TIME. If you rationalize anything, it will get you.
-And you know its not always a bad thing to "get to know someone better" before you marry them.
I hope this helps a bit. I really am rooting for you! Keep praying and keep the spirit with you! You need it to get through some TOUGH times! Eternal marriage is the BEST THING YOUR CAN DO!
BTW my blog is ksfishbowl.blogspot.com
GOOD LUCK that sounds complicated.
In reference to #8: Candles. OR just take a sheer piece of fabric and drape it across the center of the table, you'd be suprised how much that'll formal it up.
I was going to suggest the goldfish thing as centerpieces, you could go with balloons, glass figurines...pretty much anything. You probably don't even need centerpieces. Piggybanks! haha... and you're always going to have dramas at a wedding. Just remember its your day and just breathe! Good luck!
We got our cakes at Publix and they are really affordable! It's worth a trip to their bakery to just check it out. Also, looking back all you need to get secured for you wedding day is a good photographer, a DJ (trust me!!!), a cake, and you guys. Everything else is secondary, not need to have, just nice to have. Just enjoy it.
On another note, Greg and I will be sealed in a year because none of my family is LDS and more than half of Greg's (most can't go to the temple right now). It was up to us and we did what felt right. Not quite the status quo and in Utah people can be downright insulting. But you just do what what you got to do and keep Heavenly Father involved as much as you can and then some! It'll be good!!!
Post a Comment